We’ll do that via amnesty.
In an effort to stave off The White House strengthened its stand against health care coverage for illegal immigrants Friday, and a pivotal Senate committee looked ready to follow its lead.
“Illegal immigrants would not be allowed to access the exchange that is set up,” Gibbs said. Verification requirements are “something we’d work out with Congress,” he said.
Currently illegal immigrants are barred from government-funded care except in certain emergency cases, but many buy private insurance and there’s nothing to prevent them from doing that. That would change under the White House’s proposal, which is certain to alarm some on the left.
The issue of illegal immigration also bedeviled the so-called Gang of Six of three Democrats and three Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee, who met Friday trying to reach elusive bipartisan agreement on that and other contentious issues.
One of the negotiators, Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., said that after Obama’s speech the group revisited its illegal immigrant provisions to make sure legislative language would enforce requirements for people to have valid Social Security numbers before getting government-subsidized coverage.
This will, of course, not matter with the passage of, H.R.264, the so-called “Save America Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2009.” The bill was submitted by Sheila Jackson Lee, if that surprises anyone. Section 501 is the Earned Access to Legalization section; which is new-speak for amnesty.
ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS ON THE BASIS OF EARNED ACCESS TO LEGALIZATION
Sec. 245B. (a) In General- The Secretary of Homeland Security may adjust the status of an alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if the alien—
(1) was physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date on which this provision was enacted and has maintained continuous physical presence since then;
(2) has at all times been a person of good moral character; [Voted Democrat]
(3) has never been convicted of a criminal offense in the United States;
(4) in the case of an alien who is 18 years of age or older, but who is not over the age of 65, has successfully completed a course on reading, writing, and speaking words in ordinary usage in the English language, unless unable to do so on account of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment;
(5) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has accepted the values and cultural life of the United States; and
(6) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has performed at least 40 hours of community service.
(b) Treatment of Brief, Casual, and Innocent Absences- An alien shall not be considered to have failed to maintain a continuous presence in the United States for purposes of subsection (a)(1) by virtue of brief, casual, and innocent absences from the United States. [Meaning they went back to Mexico to extract dollars from the US.]
The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security will be responsible for granting this new “legal status.” How hard can that be from Janet Napalitano who wanted to give illegals legal drivers licenses in Arizona while marking Veterans and anti-abortion protesters as terrorists?